Thursday, December 27, 2007

Yet more randomness

I've been rather prolific lately...it may have something to do with the glut of free time that winter break translates to. Of course, I'll have far too much free time in January as well, but at least then I'll be at school, with complimentary distractions.

Today I introduce you to the fascinating world of dorm life at Colby, using my own experience. The basic (weekday) schedule is as follows:

1. Wake up. This could be at any time, but during the week generally occurs at about 7 or 7:15.

2. Shower. My room is pretty much in the middle of the building, so I leave in pajamas, walk past four rooms, head to the bathroom. Waking up at 7 in the morning has its perks: I hardly ever have to share the bathroom. It also means that there are very few witnesses to my towel-wrapped walk back to my room.

3. Get dressed. Quickly, because the room is cold. Once shivering has stopped, pack the backpack and load up the pockets, because we're headed outside.

4. Breakfast. Choose from any of our three dining halls: Dana, Foss, or Roberts (Bobs). Generally Bobs is good for breakfast, as it's closest to the dorm.

5. Class. In the event that waking up did not occur right at 7, it is likely that the previous step of breakfast will have been skipped, and I will have proceeded directly to class. Class will then take up the morning.

6. Lunch. Usually at Bobs, but occasionally Dana or Foss. In the coming semester, there will be very little time for lunch. My schedule on Mondays and Wednesdays will begin at 9 and end at 6 and 4 respectively. Breaks? I don't need no stinkin' breaks!

7. Work/Lab. Again, this will probably be changing next semester. I work at the campus bookstore, doing things like shelving product, doing inventory checks, and receiving shipped items. The fun, it never ends. Or I could be in bio or chem lab. Also fun.

8. Chorale. On Mondays and Thursdays, 4-6. Non-sarcastic fun. Chorale is one of my favorite things about Colby, and I can't wait to go on tour.

9. Dinner. Usually Dana, occasionally Foss. If I can help it, not Bobs, which is truly terrible for dinner.

10. Fun. Usually playing cards/hanging out downstairs. If there's an exam coming up, I study. The wonderful thing about two sciences, math and a language is that there's very little busy work.

Weekend schedule alterations:

1. Sleep may continue until noon or beyond, but I like to wake up early. The hours of daylight are already too few as is.

4. At Foss, if I can. Foss features do-it-yourself waffles, which when dosed with whipped cream are amazingly delicious. Also, hash browns.

5. Not on the weekends. Thank goodness.

6. Breakfast and lunch are one and the same. There's allegedly a separate breakfast at the student union, but it's not worth it.

7. On the weekends? You've got to be kidding me. The only time I ever worked at the bookstore on a Saturday, I slept in, got there late, and then spent three hours reading at the cash register.

9. Anywhere but Bobs. Very rarely, we order in Thai or pizza.

10. All day long on the weekends. Also, lots of movie watching.

That's pretty much a summary of what I do at school...aside from the occasional social event or interesting lecture, it's pretty monotonous. However, it's an entertaining monotony. That sounds...good? Well, I like it. Seems to me that's the part that matters anyway.

6 comments:

andrew said...

God damn you work too hard.

DanEcht said...

Many would beg to differ, actually

Anonymous said...

Is "homework" number 7.5?

DanEcht said...

Hm...homework. I think 10 actually covers homework. See, I don't have a lot of it, and when I do do it (little accidental humor there :D) I do it in the evening. So...10 would be "homework."

andrew said...

lawl. You still work too hard. Class? What is that about?

achilles3 said...

sounds chill to me!