Monday, December 24, 2007

Political Correctness Can Burn


It's nearly Christmas, and that means an end to the songs on the radio, the decorations in the street, and all else associated with Christmas - at least for another year.

Being Jewish, I feel somewhat removed from all the hubbub and hype. I get asked if I'm looking forward to Hannukah - sure, why not? I get eight "crazy nights" - thank you Adam Sandler, you immature goon - of presents and candle lighting and dreidel! Fun fun! But of the winter holidays, Christmas means the most religiously. Hannukah means next to nothing as a religious holiday - it celebrates the miracle of the oil and the Maccabees' heroism. For eight days of religiousness, look to Passover. Kwanzaa? Although I admit I don't know much about it, what I know indicates a religious connection on the level of Hannukah.

But Christmas is different. It's amazingly religious. I have no objections - as a Jew, as an agnostic - to being wished Merry Christmas as I go about my day. In fact, the thing I struggle with during the holidays is remembering to wish others Merry Christmas in return. Why? Because it means something. Because Happy Holidays means nothing. It's a wimpy, wishy washy way to say "you might take offense if I get the holiday you celebrate wrong." If I were a cashier, would I say Merry Christmas? Damn straight I would. Let political correctness go right where it belongs (hint: it rhymes with 'bell'). And so I say to any and all who read this:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!