Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Good Thing For A Good Cause


Have you donated blood recently? (Besides you, phschemguy, since I know you can't). I've donated twice since I've gotten to college, both because I want to and because I just recently gained enough weight to be able to donate. It's a great thing to do, and the nurses make sure you're aware that your blood WILL be used to save a life. I'm O positive, another thing I found out from donating blood, and while I can only receive O blood, I am the universal positive donor. I personally enjoy the experience (aside from the one poke with the needle). It's fun to lie there in comfort and banter with the nurses. They're all friendly and compassionate and understand if you feel like you want to fall over after donating (this wasn't me). Plus, my blood flows quickly (a pint bag filled in 4:42), so it's quick and easy, especially know that I have a card. The only thing I don't like is the mandatory fifteen minute wait after donating. I was pacing around the table to prove I was fine and could leave, but they didn't let me. Even so, the free food and drink made up for it. So I encourage everyone to donate blood! Be a life saver!

2 comments:

PHSChemGuy said...

We did our blood drive just yesterday, and I did, indeed, not get to give blood yet again.

andrew said...

ditto.

Something bout a one year waiting period after india visits...

You'd think they'd fight tooth and nail for a double shot of O neg, but oh well...