Friday, January 11, 2008

Stupidity Tries

Have you ever noticed that some people refuse to let reality get in the way of their beliefs? I hear the most ridiculous arguments from people who initially appear completely sane, but once they open their mouths they remove any doubt about their complete lack of sanity. For example, those who deny global warming based on the fact that it's still pretty darn cold in January. Wow, you're right! I never thought of it that way! Gee, all that research compiled by many many scientists is kind of useless in the face of such logic. Excuse me while I go buy a Hummer; apparently I don't need to worry about my carbon footprint.

Of course, fundamentalists who deny evolution are also pretty amusing/scary. There are a few tacts they take in their attack on science. One is attacking the validity of the theory of evolution based on the fact that "scientists call it a theory, so it is not fact, but they believe it still, so it is a religious tenet." Gee, those hypocritical scientists. How dare they attack creationists for their religious beliefs while so blatantly spewing their own religious dogma?! Another strategy is willfully misinterpreting evolutionist theory. From claiming that evolution states that a cat could turn into a man to claiming that evolution is bogus because no monkey could live millions of years and also become a man, fundamentalists misinterpreting evolution and feeling secure in their beliefs is amazingly funny/scary to see. If you want to have a laugh (or be frightened that such people really exist), visit this site.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go spread some sin around the world. It's so much fun to be a godless heathen!

5 comments:

cmorin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cmorin said...

I LOVE the broad generalizations and stereotypes that you make. It is really quite awesome and adds that much more to your validity.

DanEcht said...

You're right. I'm sure there are some perfectly sane fundamentalists. So those aren't the ones I'm talking about. The examples I give are all from experience, though.

andrew said...

Depending on definitions of "fundamentalism" and "sane", one could make the two mutually exclusive with very little effort.

achilles3 said...

sin's a blast!