Sunday, January 27, 2008

Alice's Restaurant

Where you can get anything you want (excepting Alice). I've made a decision that my blog titles will no longer have any relevance to what I'm posting about. Things of note recently: I received as a gift a Giants hat from my grandparents, and it's become my headwear of choice. It now accompanies me on all my outdoors excursions, and aside from one recommendation to burn it from a particularly fanatical Patriots fan, I haven't had any negative reactions. I met this Pats fan at the bowling alley this afternoon, which brings of thing of interest number two. I spent a pleasant two hours today bowling with the dorm, and learning that without frequently bowling, my skills have actually regressed to worse than they were when I was ten. I'm fairly sure that I have a score sheet at home with myself scoring a 92, from a good eight years ago. My top score today was an 88. Alas, I cannot bowl as well as I used to. One might assume that it has something to do with my form, which involves the trailing foot kicking up to hip level in the follow through. Of course, it could also be the wrist twist that occurs every single time I bowl.

Oh well...no sense complaining, as I will likely not be bowling for another few months. To continue with the things of note, I have learned all of one thing from this weekend: Bud Light tastes like shit. Pardon the blatant nature of the statement, but I felt it needed to be said. If I don't drink during college, it will be because I can't stand things like Keystone Light and Bud Light and all the other watered down crap that is the staple of a college party. There's something to be said for an imported beer, and that something is this: it tastes better. I suppose that at some level my parents have achieved an ironic success in parenting: by allowing me a taste of good beer, they have dissuaded me from drinking to excess in college for the sole reason that I can't stand the taste. Peer pressure be damned, I'm not drinking something that tastes like toilet water. My apologies to anyone who likes drinking light beer; I'm sure that your tastes are very sophisticated in every other way. With the exception of NASCAR fans. And of course, those dieting with the aid of alcohol.

And that wraps up today's college update. Coming up soon: why staying up until 3:30 in the morning to watch a tennis final is almost always a poor choice. Nevertheless, hurrah Djokovic.

10 comments:

cmorin said...

Your complaining about Bud Light?!?!? I'm elated when I get to have a Bud Light or two. Of course getting a six pack of something nice is great on occasion (Stella Artois or Blue Moon if anybody is feeling generous). But it is the regular consumption of things like Nati Light that make nice beers just that much better. Plus the price can't be beat.... $9.99 for a case of Nati.... doesn't get much better than that.

DanEcht said...

I am not in fact complaining about Bud Light, merely pointing out its obvious shortcomings in regards to certain qualities such as taste. That's all.

PHSChemGuy said...

I was a little disappointed that there wasn't any relevance to the post title. I'm a little fan of Arlo...

PHSChemGuy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
andrew said...

lol...I asked one of my friends who parties a lot how he stomachs that much Nati...he said that non light beer is too heavy and has too many calories. Therefore, you cannot get as drunk because you get full.

There is logic behind the craziness :)

DanEcht said...

There is always logic behind the craziness

achilles3 said...

light beer gets better your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th years of school.

i'm sure you'll come around AND keep your good tastes :-)

andrew said...

that's not very encouraging, Mr. Lakes :) I was hoping a strong dislike of light beer would keep me sober through college.

Now I'll actually have to do it by choice.

cmorin said...

By your seventh year is it only hard liquors?

joey said...

Blue Moon < all.