Tuesday, April 22, 2008

That time of year again

It's five weeks to the end of school, and not only is room draw for next year coming up soon, course selection for the fall is opening up tomorrow. I have a general idea of what I want to take, but I'm not quite sure yet. The problem stems from my uncertainty of what major I want. Right now I'm a declared biology major, so I feel like taking a biology course would be a good idea. I also declared a minor in classical civilization, mostly to get into a course on Sparta next fall. The two classes I'm sure of are organic chemistry (which I fear) and my last semester of Italian (thank G-d). I know I want to take a history course of some kind, seeing as that's the other major I'm considering. If I take a biology course, that means I'll have two science labs again. Now to decide between four or five classes. Looking at the schedule I've mapped out, five seems manageable, if only because the day wouldn't be too crowded (the Sparta course meets just once a week). I would have three classes Monday morning, two Tuesday morning and one in the afternoon, three Wednesday morning and biology lab (I'm thinking bacteriology) in the afternoon, two Thursday morning and O-Chem lab in the afternoon, and two Friday morning. Class would start at nine MWF and nine thirty TR, which I've managed this semester. In the fall I'll even have time for lunch every day, something which has not been true for Mondays and Wednesdays this semester. There's plenty of time still open in the day for work, both academic and at the bookstore. The only problem I see is that I would have to take chem lab on Thursday, which cuts into Chorale rehearsal by an hour. Without the Sparta course I could move lab to Tuesday afternoon, which would lighten the load at the end of the week considerably. I just have to decide...Of course, even if I elect to take the Sparta course, with just 15 openings I might not even get in. That's why I declared the minor. Ah well...I have a little time to decide.

On other fronts...chorale concert in a little over a week. Beethoven's Mass in C, and that's it. Tour has been confirmed as going to Argentina next spring, which will be amazing. Passover is roughly half over, and so far the food in the dining halls is still tolerable. Thank G-d for the fact that rice and beans are still allowed. Although the dining halls are relatively good with food (even matzo pizza at one dining hall), the local groceries are not. I went to a Hannaford's to buy food and discovered a complete lack of matzo. I am drinking Dr Brown's cherry soda and eating Manischewitz. Yay for gefilte fish! But if anybody wanted to get me this...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Have you met (thought of meeting) with your advisor regarding course selection? Keep this list http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/2537.htm in mind.

Rice and beans allowed? You're not Sephardic.
I love this (from dailyhalacha.com):
Regarding a Sephardic man that is married to an Ashkenaz woman. In this case, the lady follows the husband. Since the husband eats rice on Pesach, even though all her life she didn’t eat rice, once she marries it is considered she moved to a place where the Minhag is to eat. The Halacha is to take on the Minhagim of the place where you are. Therefore again, an Ashkenazi lady that marries a Sephardic man who eats rice on Pesach, she is then permitted to eat rice on Pesach.

calencoriel said...

What other biology classes are available? I'd go with a parasitology class if it were up to me...although bacteriology will give you lots of cool lab experience.

DanEcht said...

Unfortunately, no parasitology class this semester...it is offered in the spring, though. I think.