Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Happiness Measured Through...Bloggers?

It's true. A new metric has been developed that analyzes blogs (as well as song lyrics and speeches, such as presidential State of the Union addresses) to determine the average mood of the nation. Read about it here.

Interesting things to take away:

Teenagers are the most unhappy bloggers, according to the study, using negative words like "mad" and "fat."

Michael Jackson has positive lyrics.

Notable days of depression include the fifth anniversary of 9/11 and June 25, or the day MJ died. Days of higher than average happiness include Christmas and Valentine's Day (although both have negative words associated with them).

It's interesting, at least.

3 comments:

achilles3 said...

I am a wicked happy blogger.
I'm sure I'd be off the charts.

Tajreen H. said...

LOOK I FOUND YOUR BLOG.

And I think any metric used to analyze people on the internet isn't taking into account the fact that the internet is like a black hole where all the thoughts we rarely wish to impart on others accumulates, preserved for posterity or publicity. Meaning I'd seem like a total nut if people judged me solely by what I blog.

DanEcht said...

OH WOW YOU FOUND IT.

I think what you're getting to is that most of what is found on the internet is totally nuts. But the thoughts we don't want to impart on others, that we put on the internet, are probably honest reflections of how we think and feel. I think this metric takes that into account.